Professional Interview - Lisa Robins


What is your professional position, and how long have you had this position?
I am a church graphic and web designer, but I get paid as an office administrator. I have had this position for almost 6 years.

How did you get involved in the field you are in today?
I have always attended and been involved in the local church, and I have always had a passion for art and graphic design, so when I offered my skills to do both, and studied under my predecessors to understand the church culture, I was hired on.

What educational experience have you achieved to attain the position you have today?
I graduated in Business from CWU, did internships when I was younger, as well as studied under several people who did the job before me.

How is communication important in your business?
Communication is important in the church because we use it to not only communicate with church members but also to the community. The community is drawn in by the culture we promote through communicating though our website, visual flyers, banners, and mailers, and also by the interpersonal communication of the members and staff when they come into church events. Everything is about communication here, because ministry is a people business.

How do you personally, or others you work with, use media and branding, and how does it benefit the business?
I personally use media in my work as visual and technological media. Branding is very important because it creates a consistent culture that our staff believes is the most strategically positive atmosphere as well as biblically based. In all my work, I follow the current branding of our church, so as to, again, create a consistent and positive atmosphere for people to feel welcome.

Does your business utilize media technology, and do you hope to use more advanced technology in the future?
We use media technology a lot, in the forms of our website, as well as social media through Facebook and Twitter. People can also access sermons in the form of podcasts. We have done question-asking through smart-phones, and we also have a media booth for those who want to help with audio and visual media. We hope to become more advanced as technology progresses and becomes more widespread. I am excited to grow my skills and use them more as every day life, especially in the church, becomes more high-tech.